History of Howth Castle
The original St Lawrence home would have been built by Almeric above the harbour but it is evident from a deed that by 1235 a new castle had been built on the present site in the middle of the fertile land. This again would have been built in wood. Read More
Visiting Howth Castle
While Howth Castle remains a family home, Guided Tours are available throughout the Summer. Details and schedule for 2018 will be posted online shortly. For more information please see Visiting Howth Castle
The Cafe in the Castle is located in the beautiful walled garden and will be opening again on 17th March, serving freshly brewed coffee, home baked treats, lunch and afternoon tea. For more information contact + 353 1 839 6182
Howth Castle Cookery School
Howth Castle Cookery School, which operates from the original Georgian kitchen in the house gives a wide range of courses and demonstrations. Howth Castle Cookery School inspires and excites all those who attend its cookery courses and demonstrations. Visit Howth Castle Cookery School
One Family's Home for over 800 Years
Howth Castle is the private residence of the Gaisford-St Lawrence family. The family recognises that there is an understandable interest in the Castle and its contents therefore Guided Tours are available during the summer.
We believe that the fact that the house has been home to the same family for so long is what makes it unique. Unlike many other houses of its size in Ireland it is not a museum or a hotel but a home which we enjoy sharing with others.
It has its origins in medieval times. In 1177 Almeric, the first Lord of Howth, came to Ireland with John de Courcy. Legend has it that on 10th August, the feastday of St Lawrence, at Evora Bridge, close to the Church of Ireland church he won a victory which secured him possession of the Howth peninsula. In gratitude for this he is said to have taken the name of St Lawrence. His descendants still own and live in the castle.